Imagine for a moment if everyone were kind to each other. If we all practiced the Golden Rule. If there was only kindness in each of our actions. Oh, what a world it would be.
If you are kind, people may accuse you of ulterior motives. Be kind anyway.
It doesn’t cost anything but it can make a world of difference in the world. Imagine for a moment that you are having a rotten day. Late to work, no clean clothes, spilled your coffee, it’s raining, stepped in dog doo, can’t find a parking place, and on and on and on. #downwardspiral. You either want to cry or take someone out with your hairy eyeball look. Or worse yet, yell at someone who has no idea what you are going through. Now summon every ounce of your being and create a moment of kindness.
Ok, so let’s get you pointed in the right direction with some ideas.
- Help someone ahead or behind of you in line at the coffee shop/store/bus stop/etc., struggling to find the right amount of change. Buy it for them and just smile.
- Hold the door for someone.
- Offer to help a busy mom load her car with groceries.
- Buy extra food and drop it off at the food bank.
- Share your lunch or a snack with a co-worker who looks hungry.
- Before sending an angry or emotional email or a text, wait an hour or day, reread it and ask yourself if that is what you really want to say.
- Leave $5 at the checkout counter to be applied to the next person’s groceries….
- Look at the people you spend your day with. Do they look stressed? Provide a compliment. Offer to help them get an urgent assignment done.
- Share a smile with everyone you pass. It is simple, yet effective.
- Shovel the snow from your neighbors sidewalk.
- There are many acts of kindness that can be done in any given day. Take that extra moment and extend some to those around you.
Take a Hike:
Wait, create a moment of kindness in a day from Hell? Yes, think about it. It is second nature to take your bad day out on someone but to actually do just the opposite and treat someone else with kindness #gamechanger. Remember, it’s about how we want to be treated. No one wants to be the scapegoat of the day. Choose to make a difference today.
Are you getting the gist of our kindness suggestions? Pick a few or add your own kindness actions and see if you can make the Golden Rule a part of your everyday life. Others will always remember your kindness. You will stand out because of it. And it really takes so little effort to show towards others. Oh, and are you feeling any better?
And lastly, be kind to yourself.
Here’s another gamechanger: Gratitude, It’s A Choice.