What characteristics should you be aware of when choosing a good roommate? Would a good friend make the ideal roommate? A roommate is likely someone you will be living with for at least a number of months, so take time to understand yourself and what you are willing to live with.
Before choosing a roommate, think about cleanliness, bedtime, noise, personality type, food sharing, smoke, visitors, borrowing, conflict, chores and hangout places.
Ask yourself the following:
- Do you feel uneasy in a messy environment?
- Do you prefer to be early to bed and up with the birds or a late night owl?
- What type of music do you like to listen to and how loud?
- Are you comfortable having a lot of people around? Ie introvert or extrovert?
- Are you OK with someone eating your food?
- Do you smoke or vape? Does it bother you if someone else does?
- What is your idea of a fun Saturday night?
- Does it bother you to have a sink full of dirty dishes?
- How would you feel if someone “borrowed” your stuff?
- Do you prefer to buy your own food or share with others?
- Do you think your place is the hangout place or do you prefer to go to someone else’s place?
- How do you deal with conflict? Verbal, written or peace out type?
- How do you divide up household chores?
- What if others you don’t know are spending the night? Often!
- How do you feel about someone using your toothpaste?
Take a Hike:
Answer these questions to think through what living with someone for a year can be like. It can mean the difference between a high five and strangling someone. Most importantly, know what you can and can’t live with. #neatfreak #smokefree #introvert
A lease isn’t forever. If the roommate you have chosen isn’t the best fit, can you wait it out and make the best of the situation? No one is perfect, including ourselves. Do be direct if something is really bothering you and set up your boundaries from the beginning. Don’t assume the roommate will get the hint or change their habits.
More apartment sharing info at 5 Must Ask Questions Before You Sign The Lease.