Do you feel like everyone is smarter, better looking, funnier, more athletic, etc.? Stop comparing yourself to others. No one is comfortable in their own skin. What really matters is creating a version of you that you are happy with.
Confidence comes to most of us over time. Through learning and accomplishments we slowly realize we are the knowledgeable one about a topic. Remember the 10,000 hour rule? That’s how many hours to really master something. But you don’t have to be the best to make a contribution.
Along the way there are things we can do to help booster our self confidence:
- Don’t be too hard on yourself. Give yourself credit for the courage to start.
- Accept failure or mistakes and learn from it. Nothing you try is really a failure, it just might not be the best way to do something. If you’re not happy with the outcome, change the approach or try again.
- If you aren’t knowledgeable about something, learn whatever you can about it.
- Self doubt is just a thought passing through your head. Let it pass!
- Step out of your comfort zone and do something that scares you…a little. Success builds confidence.
- Express gratitude and celebrate each success no matter how big or small. This opens you up for even bigger successes and stronger confidence.
While these next few may not make you feel more confident initially, others will perceive you as more confident:
- If you don’t know something, say you don’t know.
- Make yourself approachable. Smile.
- Stand up straight.
- Say thank you when someone compliments you.
Take a Hike:
Take a step today to learn or do something new. If the little negative voice in your head starts telling you why you can’t do something, just tell it to take a hike- because you can do it! Choose your thoughts, don’t let them choose you!
One of our kids jumped into a freezing lake on New Year’s day. He said if I can do that, I can do anything. A few years later, the same kid parachuted out of an airplane. Although, these seem a little extreme to most of us, it is confronting the scariness of the situation that will lift your confidence.
Add to your confidence by reading our post 5 Surefire Tips to Feel Better… About Yourself!