Do you have a life changing decision to make? A new job opportunity? A breakup with a girl or boyfriend? Trying to decide which college to attend? Thinking about moving to another part of the world? Consider the important questions below before making the leap in a new direction.
Opportunities will come along in life, either through our soliciting them or unexpectedly. And once you are presented with the opportunity you will need to decide if you want to go for it or not. Don’t let fear, anxiety and complacency hold you back from living your best life. Someone once said “If it excites and scares the crap out of you at the same time, it probably means you should do it.”
Things to consider when confronted with big decisions:
- Do I have all the info to make an informed decision? What else do I need to know?
- Will this decision make me a better person in the long run?
- What are the consequences of my decision? (consider yourself and others in my life)
- Is there an emotional factor pulling you in one direction?
- Make a list all the pros and cons. It helps to see them in writing.
- Ask for advice from a trusted source. It’s free and you just might hear something you haven’t thought of.
- Is choice taking me in the direction I want to go?
- What is the worst that could happen?
-> If needed, give yourself a couple of days to think it through.
Take a Hike:
Most people don’t like change so won’t be supportive of you making a change in your life if it affects theirs. But remember it is your life and your decision. Think it through carefully based on the tips above. Also, listen to that little voice inside yourself. Deep down you often know what you should do.
Then make your decision. It’s all going to be OK!
Know that it’s ok to change your mind once your decision has been made. It’s ok to go back but make sure you are doing it for the right reasons.
A young lady chose to go to college on the other side of the country. She was homesick and uncomfortable with the customs in the area she was living in and after 3 weeks called and asked to come home. She figured out how to finish out the semester and then returned home to finish her degree at a local college.
When making big decisions, you can also think about Secrets of Success – Obtain the Life You Want by Setting Goals.