Feed your passions through reading. A good book can grab a hold of you and hurl you into a world of excitement and adventure.
“I do believe something magical can happen when you read a good book.” J.K. Rowling
Do you dream of being a Laura Croft explorer? -> But you can’t quit your day job to support the dream.
Does history fascinate you? -> But you are allergic to dust.
Love to hear about mountain climbers surviving the elements? -> But the high altitude gives you a headache.
Intrigued with solving a murder? -> But the blood makes you queasy?
Want to learn a new skill or craft? -> But don’t know where to start.
Reading can take the place of a psychotherapist and save you money. It can add a dash of anticipation to your lonely evenings or work breaks. All this and more through the many thousands of books out there just waiting to be picked up and read.
If you have absolutely no time to sit and read, then think about listening to a book. There’s always that commute to deal with and you might as well have a good book to listen to, rather than listen to the guy next to you drone on and on. Books from the library are free and available in paper, digital, and audio forms.
Top 7 reasons to read:
- It gives you something to talk about… besides your boss.
- It is a great way to learn about something you are interested in.
- It increases your vocabulary.
- It ignites your imagination by exposing you to whole new worlds.
- It is fun to share a book and discuss it with others.
- It may help you get a new job or advance your career.
- It improves your brain’s cognitive functions.
Take a Hike:
Apply for a free library card today and check out Overdrive (a free app) to download library books to read or listen to.
Fun fact: A book once stopped a bullet from killing President Roosevelt.
Be on the lookout for a future topic “Reading for Self-improvement.”