Feeling overwhelmed by the clutter in your life? Mom visiting? Company coming over? Make house cleaning a breeze! Turn on your favorite playlist and psych yourself up to “Tidy in 10 minutes” (per room). With the right supplies, right playlist, a plan, and some motivation, you can clean in 30 mins!
“I personally am inclined to approach [housework] the way governments treat dissent: ignore it until it revolts.” Barbara Kingsolver
Killin’ it in the kitchen!
- Clear off the counters. Put items in cupboards, drawers, or return them to their proper place. Clean the dirty dishes – put into the dishwasher or in a sink full of hot soapy water.
- Bring a cup of water to a boil in the microwave. It will loosen dried on food. Let the steaming cup sit for a few minutes and everything will wipe right off!
- Use hot soapy water on a washcloth to wipe down the stove top (soap cuts the grease). For tough dried on food, use a plastic scraper.
- Sort through paper items. Discard unneeded mail, newspapers, and stack all others into a single pile or file them away.
- Put a cup of distilled white vinegar in a bucket of hot water. Use this solution to wipe down the counters, fridge, floors, etc. Start at the top of your kitchen and work your way down. You can use the same cleaning solution for the whole kitchen. The smell dissipates quickly.
- Clean the floor – sweep up loose dirt and mop/wipe the floor.
- Empty the garbage.
Get your rubber gloves and bang out the bathroom!
- Use disinfecting wipes on all surfaces of the bathroom. They clean and disinfect at the same time, and you can throw them away when done- bam! You can also use distilled white vinegar and hot water solution with paper towels to clean the whole bathroom.
- Wipe the surfaces of the sink, toilet and tub. The wipes work great on the floor also as they pick up hair, dirt, and grime.
- Hang a clean hand/bath towel and gather items into a basket to be stored under the sink or in a hall closet.
- Clean the toilet bowl. Get a good brush and use a scented cleaner/disinfectant. Using drop-ins will help between cleanings. Nobody likes the smell of an unclean toilet. #bpfree
- Wash the mirror with a clean wet cloth and dry with a paper towel. The distilled white vinegar and hot water solution also works great on mirrors and windows.
- Empty the garbage.
Clean the living room lickity split!
- Put everything that doesn’t belong in the living room into a laundry basket to be put away.
- Pick up papers, books, games and stack neatly or put them away.
- Tidy the area… arrange pillows on furniture, fold blankets and store, put the remotes away, straighten pictures on the wall, etc.
- Using a damp microfiber towel, dust from the top of the room down. (Microfiber towels are better at picking up and retaining dust than your average towel)
- Vacuum or sweep the floor.
- Boom, you’re done in 30 mins!
Take a Hike:
Put on your favorite dancing playlist and grab your cleaning gear. Clean each room in 10 minutes, set a timer, and make it a challenge. It will impress your friends and family… and you. Studies have shown that people are happier if they live in a clean environment. #cleanhouse #clutterfree
You don’t need a lot of supplies to keep your home looking great. Use this starter list for your apartment cleaning kit:
Most of these can be bought at a dollar store. It doesn’t have to cost a lot to keep your place clean! Or order it on Amazon and have it delivered to your door.